Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Pricing of EBooks

Hello from Edward J. Coburn

I am going to dispense with putting the informatioon about why this blog is called what it is. If you want to know that, look at some of my older blogs.
I was looking for information aboout NonFiction publishing to ebook (Kindle) and ran across a couple of interesting blogs. They are:

Myself, I originally priced both of my books:

at $2.99 (70% royalties so about $2 a book) and sold what I consider to be, very few, based upon what I have read about other authors. So, I lowered the price to $0.99 (35% royalties or about $0.35 per book) and for a month, sold only two. One of my daughters says I should price them higher (maybe as high as $5.99 - 70% or about $4.20 royalties per book) because people see value base upon price. I don't know if I'm quite ready to try that yet, but, maybe I will.

Based upon one of the above articles, I think I had better get my nonfiction books out there, I am going to write two to begin with, but I have several others in mind. One is a good book for christmas and one will be good for spring (making an eight-foot waterfall). But then comes the question of what price I should charge. I think I will start at $2.99 and see how that goes.

Overall, I figure if I get enough books of different types out there, I may actually make a little money. I don't expect to get rich, but a bit of extra income when I retire would certianly be nice.

I am going to start writing rhyming children's books too. I have already written two, I am just waiting for my daughter to draw the illustrations. The first one that will be out will be one where the kids in the book are trick-or-treating. It's kind of silly, but it's supposed to be for younger readers and just look at how popular Dr. Seuss books have been (seems like forever) and most of them use silly rhymes and nonsensical words.  I am going to steer away from nonsense words because I think todays children are a lot more advanced than they were when Dr. Seuss was writing. Though I still think his books are fun, I am going to stick to my guns and steer clear on nonsense words (like, for example, "A Wocket in my Pocket").

I just read a short blog that says children's books don't do well as eBooks. Well, I'm going to try it anyway since they're already written and my daughter is working on the illustrations.

Well, enough rambling for now. On to writng nonfiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment