Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday evening

"I guess it's time to quit for the day," he said reluctantly.

Not a direct quote from the book rather a direct quote from me.  I really do hate quit.  Today I finished  the draft of chapter 27. It's a long one right now. I  looked to see if there was any place split it but I couldn't find a logical place. Thus, it is 3,394 words long. Maybe when I edit the book, I'll find some place logical to split  it.

Chapter word count is now 63,256  but if I count the words in the entire manuscript I get 66, 207  which is  approximately 88% of what I need to have a manuscript of 75,000 words.   I need about 9,000 more words and since I have been  doing about 2,500  words a day, I should easily finish before the end of this week.  Which will be within the one month time frame I alloted to myself (internal challenge). Of course, it has not been edited so it really won't be done until it is.

I think I mentioned before that what I intend to do is do one quick edit of the entire book, and then  I will set it aside and work on the second book for a minimum of a week before I go back and do another edit. I will continue to do this until I have been through the book at least four or five times. I know most authors claim they edit 10 maybe 20 times, but I think that is way past overkill. If the book is written well enough to begin with I don't think that many edits are necessary by the writer.  It's good, of course, to have other people read the book and make edits and comments. It's  easy enough for the author to miss things like changing a character's name (Fred in one place and Sam somewhere else) or using a character in the later chapter that was never introduced in the earlier chapters and things like that. The  author is too close to the material to notice such things. It  takes that second or third or fourth set of eyes see that sort of thing. Fortunately, I think I have three people who are willing to help. My daughter, Heather, being one of them, and two guys from work.  Oh yes, and one guy's wife , so I guess maybe I'll have four. That will be good.

Well TV time.

No comments:

Post a Comment